Reading is at the heart of St Peter’s. We believe in the importance of daily reading to inspire and foster enjoyment for all readers. This in turn impacts imagination and vocabulary – creating independent, confident lifelong readers.
At St Peter’s we teach children to:
- Read with confidence, fluency and understanding, orchestrating a range of independent strategies to self-monitor and correct;
- Have an interest in books and read for enjoyment;
- Have an interest in words and their meanings. Developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms;
- Understand a range of text types and genres.
- Develop the powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness;
- Have a suitable technical vocabulary to articulate their responses.
Reading takes place daily across all year groups. Children may read as a class, in small groups or one to one. We use a range of picture books, both fiction and non-fiction, enabling children to access a rich variety of high quality literature, which will encourage children to be readers for life.